Friday, January 15, 2016

One Word: Family



Instead of New Year's resolutions for 2016, I've learned of a strategy from colleagues to choose one word as a central focus for the year. Through much reflection about the one word that best describes my values, goals, hopes and dreams both professionally and personally, the word that kept surfacing in my heart and my mind was FAMILY.


I was very fortunate as a child to be surrounded by very loving and fun-loving immediate and extended family. There was always a strong sense of security and support from those around me. They instilled a sense of confidence and zest for life in me.


My immediate family moved to the midwest when I was a teen. There was sadness in moving away from loved ones, but I learned that I could still experience a sense of extended family at school and in my community. I was fortunate to develop relationships with many caring individuals who provided support, mentoring, encouragement and laughter.  


When spending time in Japan and studying abroad, the warmth and closeness of the families I lived with still resonates within me. Although I learned so much about a very different culture and language, the deep caring and kindness only a family can provide is unforgettable. 


Now that I am an adult, the sense of courage and determination I feel to keep my own family safe, loved and cared for is beyond compare. I want my children to receive an outstanding education and do well in school so that they can reach their hopes and dreams. But most importantly, I want them to grow up to be healthy and happy, caring individuals. 


Perhaps the greatest joy of being in the education profession is the sense of FAMILY felt within a school. It's truly wonderful to be part of school family that strives to provide the security, encouragement and support in good times and bad so that our students can learn and grow with confidence and achieve their hopes and dreams, too. There is much to love and appreciate about the Dryden FAMILY!!



No comments:

Post a Comment